I thought I would try to jot down significant events in our lives where textiles feature.
- Birth – swaddling blankets for protection, soft toys for comfort, nappies, flannel for cleaning
- Christening – ceremonial gown often passed down through generations of families.
- School Uniform
- sports kits – show allegiance to a team/group
- University gown
- work uniform – ribbons on medals
- Wedding dress
- care for parents – sheets
- death – shroud, mourning clothes/items
These all offer either protection or status.