Rope felt appropriate for the bodmin piece of work, but for this the material itself does not add significance to the ideas or story for me. I have considered paper again. Paper has connotations with memory and writing diaries but again something doesn’t quite fit for me, it doesn’t feel complete enough.
I have spent quite a bit of time thinking and rethinking my thoughts. I want to use something that is reminiscent of life, that has some individuality. It suddenly dawned on me that hats fulfill my sense of this project. I started to research my ideas further.
- Hats are often used to show our individuality.
- They are used for protection, from sun and from the cold as well as hard hats for physical protection.
- They look like vessels.
- knitted and crocheted hats are created in the round – a spiral!
- The saying ‘keep it under your hat’ refers to keeping secrets, secrets are often revealed at death.
- ‘put your thinking cap on’ implies life. thoughts and memories in life that disappear at death.
- to cap something off – to stop something, life?