During my final preparations for assessment and working through all of the work, I have spent some time considering this piece of work. I feel that during Assignment 2 Project 10 I panicked a bit and actually in hindsight I feel I had some strong ideas that could have been taken through to a stronger final outcome.
I have spent some time considering my finished sample and overall I am happy that the outcome conveys the ideas that I have wanted to explore.
I started to consider how I would present it if it was a finished piece of work and I did think about simply showing it as a hanging piece of clothing. This just did not feel right for me, it would not convey the despair and deflated exhaustion of the sad life lived. I therefore decided that it should be slumped over something. I want to show the idea of something having once been, once existed, but now deflated, rather like a discarded snake skin.
I am happy with the outcome of this project. This has been quite difficult one to consolidate, but I feel this is getting closer.
I think I could develop this further as I am not sure i feel this is a completely finished idea.
With this idea I felt I needed to actually use the dress, so that I could get a really good idea about how the finished piece could look.
Having started to think about my piece for project 2 and using the child’s dress as a basis for it, I am reminded of Shelly Goldsmith but more particularly her piece titled ‘Erupted Cocktail Dress’. For me this piece is about the emotional masks people sometimes wear in public, and explores the idea of making these outwardly visible. Her theme is quite different I think, but visually the use of a dress as the basis and the placing of the Rorschach over the heart are similar.
I love Shelly Goldsmiths work, I find her pieces poignant and deeply moving with little or no explanation. There is a fascinating sadness that exists whilst conveying such a strong sense of the passing of time with the stories of lives lived.
I wanted to continue my idea of the use of the scars to show visible damage, and so I did a series of tests using some of my indigo shibori samples.
I was pleased with the previous shibori test but felt that on white it was too clean looking. I decided to do some further samples…
I first dyed some cotton fabric in walnut husks to give an aged feeling, I then stitched it and dyed just the stitched section in indigo dye.